Saturday 25 August 2012

Diary of a Digital Start-Up

I am a writer/author by trade (writer.uk.com) and a mummy by desire. I guess most mums inbetween jobs/projects would relish the downtime and read Fifty Shades or catch up on episodes of America's Next Top Model or similar. Not I. I've opted instead to build my own digital business start-up and put my own advice into practice. Nobody achieved anything from watching Eastenders or Big Brother so I've switched off the TV and am focusing my evenings on developing my new business, WiBBLE (which started life as a Facebook group, growing from 20 members to 300 in one week). TBH, I have no interest in sitting still. I'd rather move forward, learn, soak stuff up, grow and, hopefully, achieve my goals. And if I don't, at least I'll know I've tried. 


Today it is one month until the big launch event and I've been blown away by the generosity of my fellow WiBBLErs - from supplying thank you flowers and bunting for free to sending me encouraging cards and ideas for events. Yes, this week I have learned many things. Did you know, for example, that the best time to post on Facebook or Twitter is between 5pm and 9pm GMT or how to design an infographic? These are new lessons I have learned this week. I have had great feedback about a charity event and Christmas Fayre I'm organising, have downloaded some super helpful products from LaunchGrowJoy and found a whole array of useful resources (more on those soon).

As is always the case with the perpetual roller-coaster of being self-employed, there have been bad times (a potential book ghostwriting project being 'postponed' until the client has more time to focus) to incredibly good times: getting a piece in the local newspaper announcing the forthcoming WiBBLE Launch Event. 


The best boost though came from a surprise source - my brand new business bank manager. He said he found my business exciting, extremely viable and already knew of a few potential WiBBLErs he could pass my details on to. Bish bash bosh - bank account opened and a more buoyant (and relieved) moi.

Next week it's time to get my web copy written (glad I used to run a business called webcopyriter.co.uk - I'm selling the domain if any UK based web copywriters would like to buy it... I stopped writing web copy when I started writing books). Got a website to build, fill with content and test too. Busy but exciting times ahead. Lots of hard work to be getting on with (haven't even found time to promote this blog yet, but I surely shall). Indeed, I'll be trying my best every stage of the way. That much I know for sure. Is there any other way when you're starting a business?

1 comment:

  1. I like the graphic, it is very true - we can never succeed without even trying to! When I was launching my website I had many doubts, but I just decided to go for it. And it worked!

    ReplyDelete